lunes, 30 de julio de 2012

Homemade yogurt




I don’t usually eat much yogurt. Actually, I didn’t like it very much till the greek type came to Argentina. You see, we don’t have many types of it, either, and the one I like it’s full of sugar. So I eat it with moderation. And, it’s the base of a lot of salty recipes, especially Middle East. So I wanted to give a chance at this recipe I found only.

I searched and search, because every recipe had different data, but all of them agreed on the same thing: temperature. The MOST important thing is to maintain a constant temperature during the hours of fermentation.

And no thermometers or weird stuff. Here you have to use all of your senses, especially the common one!

To the recipe!

HOMEMADE YOGURT

FOR 65 fl oz
65 oz full-fat milk
8 oz natural plain yogurt

We will also need a pot where you can put all the milk + a spoon + a container where we can let it stand for a few hours (ideally a cooler temperature) + some dishcloths or towels.



When bubbles appear, turn of the heat!

1. Heat the milk on a low flame, for approximately 20 minutes, until little bubbles appear on the sides of the pan. It’s just before coming to boil, about 185 F. Turn of the heat. NOTE: I didn’t want to buy a thermometer because you have to learn to trust your instincts.



2. Let it cool until you put a finger inside and it’s hot to the touch. But BEWARE! It doesn’t have to be hot enough to burn yourself.


3. Add yogurt, mix gently and pass it to a container, if possible, glass because it retains heat better.


Select a container where it fits almost perfectly.
  The air also affects the final result


4. Wrap it with film (I’m kind of nuts, so I put 3 layers). Then cover with a towel and leave in a warm place. The best thing is to keep all that in a cooler lunch box.

5. I started around 8:30 PM, time when I put the milk, and at 9:10 PM it was already wrapped up and waiting for it to become yogurt in the morning!


 



I opened it at 8 am the next day, so it was almost 12 hours. 10 should be enough, but I always make it at the same time, and it turns out great. 




¿Can you tell the difference between liquids and solids?

If you want, you can mix the whey, but for me it is too liquid. So there are two choices: take it off, tilting the bowl and discarding the whey. Or, the part that I like: making GREEK YOGURT!


The best thing about this is that you do not need much more than a strainer, a fine cloth, and a bowl where all this fits.

 

GREEK YOGURT

FOR 35 fl oz aprox
 65 fl oz yogurt
1 strainer
1 fine cloth or tablecloth

Bowl + strainer + mum's tablecloth

NOTE: The strainer is optional. I put it that way because it drains better. You have a space where the whey can

1. Over the strainer, stretch a canvas (I used a downright awful tablecloth my mom has ALWAYS had, but it is quite thin, and the water can pass ok) and place the yogurt.

2. You close it like a bag, with a knot and put it in the fridge.




3. Wait between 6 and 7 hours. NO MORE. The first time I did it I went to work, came back and pulled it out. It settled there for 10 hours and seemed cream cheese. It was AWESOME, but not with the consistency of yogurt.


Greek yogurt with honey and almonds. A GEM!



EDIT: in the yogurt I had left, I mixed paprika with a pinch of salt (to lift the flavor up) and I spread it over a graham cracker. A super tasty dip!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario